Immunotherapy: Should I Choose Allergy Drops or Shots?
The warm Florida climate causes “allergy season” in Florida to be anywhere from 8 to 10 months. The good news is that you no longer have to suffer because long term allergy relief is possible and convenient. At Gulf Coast Breathe Free, we get to the cause of your allergies with immunotherapy treatment. Immunotherapy is safe, effective, and will allow you to live life how you want to live it.
What are allergies?
Allergies are the result of an immune system that confuses harmless substances with harmful ones. Normally, the body is good at detecting and attacking harmful substances like viruses, germs, and toxins. However, a person’s immune system will sometimes attack an otherwise harmless substance. This harmless substance is called an allergen.
Some common allergens include:
- Pet Dander is tiny pieces of skin that shed from animals.
- Dust Mites are tiny organisms that cause some of the most common allergies.
- Pollen are spores that come from blooming trees and flowers.
- Mold is a type of fungus that can live almost anywhere.
- Seasonal Allergies can be caused by rain or wind bringing in allergens from surrounding areas during certain times of the year.
Common allergy symptoms:
- Itchy eyes
- Runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Skin rash
Oftentimes, people who suffer from allergies try everything they can think of without any success. Long-term allergy relief is here.
Immunotherapy is a treatment plan that is designed for and unique to you. It is used to treat the specific allergies that are impacting you. We begin the process by performing an in-depth allergy exam to determine the severity and frequency of your allergies. The exam includes an allergy test, a look at your symptoms and family history, and a discussion about our allergy treatment goals. Once we have completed your exam, we will work with you to create a unique immunotherapy plan that will treat the underlying cause of your allergies to give you symptom relief and the potential elimination of your allergies.
- Training the body to stop reacting to your allergens
- A rapid reduction of allergy symptoms
- The potential for long-term allergy elimination
- A customized treatment to fit your goals and needs
Types of Immunotherapy
When it comes to immunotherapy, your wants and needs will determine which type is best for you. We know that each patient has different needs that need to be addressed and that is why we provide options.
Allergy shots are a type of subcutaneous immunotherapy which involves injecting a small amount of your allergens beneath the skin to slowly retrain your body. Allergy shots are an effective long-term solution; however, they may not meet everyone's individual needs or schedule.
Allergy drops work the same way that allergy shots work when it comes to retraining your immune system. However, you don't need to go into the office for allergy drops because instead of shots, they are drops that you place under your tongue at your own convenience.
Both types of immunotherapy will successfully work to retrain your immune system to reduce or get rid of your allergy symptoms.
Allergy Drops: Convenient Immunotherapy
Sublingual immunotherapy (Allergy Drops) is a safe and effective method of immunotherapy for most patients. They cause fewer patient barriers and are the preferred method for most people.
Reasons why allergy drops would be right for you:
- You have a busy schedule
- You don’t like getting shots
- You want faster symptom relief
- You are over six years old
- You are concerned about an allergic reaction to a shot
- You can follow a daily treatment schedule at your convenience
- You are looking for a safe, effective, affordable, and convenient allergy solution
Benefits of Sublingual Immunotherapy
It’s Safe and Effective
- A time-tested solution
- Symptom relief often after a few weeks
- Reduced risk of allergic reaction
- Possible side effects are mild and manageable
- Only visit the office a few times a year rather than a few times a month
- Spend less on transportation
- Decreased dependence on over-the-counter medicines
- You can manage the treatment time and location
- Administer the treatment yourself
- Fewer missed hours from work or school
- Less time in the office
- More time for yourself
It’s Your Choice
Whether you want to choose allergy drops or shots, at Gulf Coast Breathe Free we can help you develop a unique treatment plan that will work for your schedule.