Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
Sinusitis or sinus infections impact everyone at some point or another. In fact, 1 in 10 people will suffer from at least one sinus infection this year. If you are one of these people, then you know how difficult life can be while dealing with sinus infection symptoms. Sinus infection symptoms can cause hours of missed work or school, loss of productivity, and the inability to enjoy life to its fullest. Symptoms include:
- Sleep disruption
- Nasal congestion
- Post-nasal drip
- Breathing problems
- Facial pain
- Coughing, sneezing, runny nose
What is a Sinus Infection?
The four empty spaces around the nose and eyes are called the sinus cavities. The sinus cavities play a major role in both breathing and keeping you healthy. They keep you healthy by producing mucus that can trap foreign bodies and then drain them out of your system. During this process, the lining of the sinus cavities can become inflamed due to the substances that are entering your body. This inflammation is known as sinusitis.
As the sinus cavities become inflamed, the body will have a harder time draining mucus which may lead to further infection and symptoms. Worsened symptoms can lead to sinusitis sufferers seeking relief from over-the-counter medications or antibiotics, but these can cause undesirable side effects like:
- Elevated blood pressure
- Cardiac complications
- Individual complications
What are Some Natural Remedies for Sinus Infections?
Natural solutions are a good way to avoid adverse side effects while still getting relief from your sinus infection symptoms. Home remedies for sinus infections promote natural sinus drainage, reduced inflammation, and the prevention of further infections.
The most effective and safest natural home remedies for sinus infections involve the use of liquid water, vapor, or mist. Water is a good solvent that can penetrate blockages to help mucus drain naturally again. This allows the body to begin the healing process, reduce symptoms, and improve your quality of life.
H2O as a Natural Solvent
Pure water is one of the best solvents on earth. It is used as a thinner, cleaner, and diluter. It can be used to thin mucus, clean the sinuses, and dilute a blockage. Natural sinus solutions that use water include:
Warm water vapor is one of the best ways to naturally treat sinus infections because it naturally rises and can easily break through a blocked nasal passage. As the steam makes its way through the nasal blockage, the mucus is thinned, and the sinus cavities can begin to drain. Warm water vapor can also soothe the pain associated with sinus inflammation. Warm water vapor can be achieved several different ways:
- Warm Shower or Bath - During a warm shower or bath, take a few minutes to breathe deeply in through the nose before getting out. This will allow the water vapor to enter your sinus cavities.
- Steam Pot - Place a pot or bowl of warm liquid on a solid surface. Place a towel or sheet over the head to help trap steam. Keep a safe distance from the bowl and then begin to breathe in deeply through the nose so that the warm vapor can penetrate your nasal blockages. Make sure to take caution when handling the hot liquids.
- Steam Machine (Warm Mist Humidifier) - A warm mist humidifier is an electronic device that produces steam that you can breathe into your nasal passages. These are a safer alternative than using a pot or bowl of hot liquid.
Liquid Water (Sinus Rinse)
Another effective home solution for sinus infections is using a sinus rinse. Nasal rinses come in many different forms and usually involve a mixture of sodium solutions and sterile water. Some are sprayed into the nose while others are pumped or poured. Sinus rinses can be safe and effective, but they do pose some risk which is why you should always follow the manufacturer's instructions. The instructions will include things like:
- Using the Correct Type of Water - When it comes to nasal rinses it is only safe to use distilled or sterile water. Other types of water may be safe to drink but they are not safe to introduce to the nasal cavities. This is because they may contain foreign substances that can lead to further infections.
- Using the Correct Water Temperature - Do not introduce water that is too hot into the nasal passages. It can result in internal burns.
- The Purity of the Water - Make sure to always clean and sanitize your reusable sinus rinse. The instructions should explain how to correctly clean it to avoid any bacteria growth.
Mist (Cool Mist Humidifier)
These are a safe alternative to warm vapor humidifiers because they don't use heat to create the vapor. This cool vapor can still be used to effectively treat blockages, inflammation, and infections without the risk of burns.
Other Natural Solutions:
The following methods are highly effective at treating sinus infection and do not include the use of water, vapor, or steam.
- Sleep in an Elevated Position - Keeping your head elevated while sleeping can allow gravity to naturally drain your sinuses.
- Stay Hydrated - Because we are made up of so much water, our bodies work better while properly hydrated. Staying hydrated will allow the natural processes of the body to work toward healing your sinus infection.
- Use Warm and Cool Compresses - Rotating between warm and cold compresses can help to reduce inflammation and help the sinuses to drain naturally. These can also help provide natural relief of symptoms like headache and sinus pressure. Be careful when placing hot and cold compresses on the skin. Don't place them directly on your skin and make sure not to use either one longer than 20 minutes at a time.
Natural Home Remedies for Sinus Headaches Work
These natural sinusitis home remedies are a safe and effective solution to avoid the side effects that come with using medication. However, they don't treat the underlying causes of sinus infections, so if you're suffering from frequent or recurring sinusitis you should see a medical professional.
Often, home remedies for sinus infections are not enough for chronic sinus sufferers. At Gulf Coast Breathe Free we offer a solution to your frequent sinus infections without the use of medication called Balloon Sinuplasty. Balloon sinuplasty is a safe, minimally invasive, in-office procedure that can give you long lasting relief. It is a small balloon that is entered into the sinus cavities and inflated to promote long term natural nasal drainage.
If these home remedies for sinus infections haven’t been enough then schedule an appointment today to get long lasting relief from your chronic sinus issues.